*Disclosure* This post contains affiliate links. I will be paid a commission for purchases made through the links below.
- The Water is Too Hot & You Take Too Long
This one about broke my heart. I love a long hot shower. That sounds amazing right now. Truth is it actually leaves your skin feeling less than awesome so we rub down in body butters and oils to try and seep some moisture back into it. Both hot water and extended exposure to it can dry out our skin and strip away the natural oils that our skin need to remain plump and youthful in appearance. Try to cool down the temperature and cut down your time to around 5 to 10 minutes and see if your skin feels better.
2. You Use a Loofah or Sponge
I really am so sorry to tell you guys this – but that loofah thingy you love traps a ton of bacteria in it that can end up doing more harm to your skin. All the skin cells that it scraps away from your skin actually get lodged in all the folds and material of your loofah creating a breeding ground for bacteria to grow. Replace your loofah with a Snarky Bar – they’re just as quick and easy to use.
If you MUST usea loofah… Try these tips for safer use.
- Let it dry. Take the loofah out of that moist environment. It’s ideal to allow the shower area to have enough airflow to completely dry out between uses. Leave a window open, shower doors cracked open and consider keeping the wet loofah outside of the shower for more airflow. If you want to be extra cautious, soap up the loofah and rinse it out on its own after washing yourself and before letting it hang to dry.
- Replace it. If it changes color or smells, it’s time to get a new one.
- Microwave it. Proper cleaning is key. Regularly hang the loofah outside the hot moist shower itself, on a daily basis and then occasionally microwave it for 20 seconds while damp, as they recommend for synthetic sponges Avoid zapping your loofah with anything that has the potential to melt or catch fire and make sure it’s fully damp throughout. Do notmicrowave plastic loofahs.
- Bleach it. You might also use bleach to rid the sponge of bacteria. You could soak it in a solution of 5 percent bleach. This would kill the bacteria.
3. You Don’t Pat Your Skin Dry
Rubbing your skin, face, and hair dry with a towel can be more harmful than you realize. Rubbing skin with a towel actually strips away much needed moisture, natural oils, and skin cells. Instead, try gently patting your skin dry to prevent irritation, and do the same to your hair to prevent breakage and frizz.
4. You Wait Too Long To Moisturize
in addition to rubbing dry I bet you dry off completely before applying lotion, body butter, or oils…. am I right? This is a major skin foul! Moisturizing while your skin is still damp is key! Water is the best moisturizer but it dries, so add a moisturizer or body butter to seal in the life giving benefits of H2O. Try applying you favorite Posh Moisturizer before you skin is completely dry to lock in hydration for healthier looking skin. Better yet, apply Good Hydrations In Shower Lotion before you step out!
I hope this little post helps you achieve your skin care goals and get you ready for the fall/winter skin challenges to come.
Remember to Sign Up for Posh Perks and get 500 FREE Perks that you can redeem for Posh Beauty Products.