Top 5 Biggest Mistakes Women Make Shaving Their Legs
Shaving. It really seems like a chore right? I mean I can shower, washing my entire body from head to toe in less than 5 minutes… but add in shaving and I’m stumped. There is just no way to do that quickly without need to wrap your legs in bandages… #MummyStyle. I have committed my fair share of beauty sins when it comes to shaving so I thought I’d do a quick top 5 mistakes made while shaving post to maybe keep you from making the same mistakes I did.
- Disclosure – this post contains affiliate links. I will receive a small commission if you decide to purchase any item using the links found in this post
Not Exfoliating Before Shaving
I know this may sound like a silly step you don’t need to follow, however if your want to closest shave imaginable your really need to exfoliate. Exfoliation removes the top layer of dead skin, dirt, and other toxins giving your shaving cream and razor the cleanest slate possible to do their thing.
I am currently using this Coconut Lime scented Sugar Scrub from Tree Hut. It has nice tropical scent and a little goes a long way. It’s only $5.99 at Target.
Not Using a New Razor
2. I am about to blow your mind. Disposable razor are just that… disposable. Meaning that they are meant for one time use and then thrown out. Now i know that might seem wasteful but if you want a close shave you need a new razor, Choosing a new razor will also decrease your likelihood of encountering razor burn and honey… You don’t want any part of that. Trust Me. OUCH!!!!
While I might be boujee on certain things, razors are just not something I splurge on, I literally use these 6 blade 2pk razors from Dollar Tree.
Shaving with Soap and Water
3. This has got to be the wackest shaving tactic that has been passed down through the generations. Shaving with soap and water is not going to give your legs enough lubrication to give you the best shave possible. It’s so funny to me how we get upset over the nicks and cuts we get.. Gee… I wonder why. No Boo Boo, you need to use an actual shaving cream. Now if you are out and are in a pinch the next best thing is to use your hair conditioner. 🙂 (that extra tip is 100% free of charge. Your;re welcome)
I have been shaving with Coochy Rash Free Shave Cream since I was 20 years old. Works great, smooth, soft leg, no bumps or irritation, ever.
Using Shaving Creams with Alcohol
4. One would think that we would know this in 2018, but here we are. Alcohol is the devil for skin’s moisture and you really don’t want that during shaving. I know these sort of things can get expensive but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
There was a cool article on Huffington Post for DIY Shaving Cream Ideas to try. I really recommend it if you’re a natural loving sister.
Not Applying Aloe Vera Gel
5. We wrote a nifty post about some fun Aloe Vera facts, you should totally check that out if you haven’t read it yet. Some of us go from rinsing legs to putting on lotion and miss this critical step. Aloe vera gel is great for soothing legs and it is quite frankly the only “after shave” product you really need.
I found this quick little post on Wellness Mama for Making Your Own DIY Aloe Vera Gel. It’s seems relatively easy to do. If you would rather buy it here are some options on Amazon.
So there you have it – 5 of the BIGGEST mistakes women make when shaving. Let me know what you think in the comments, do you do any of these? What works for you? Got a secret family shaving secret to share? I would 1000000% LOVE to hear about it! 🙂