|The links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.|
I love natural Hair. That line has been severely over stated. It’s on coffee mugs, t-shirts, bumper stickers, all kinds of swag. Natural hair refers to African American women wearing our natural hair without any chemical processing. There is some debate in the community on whether hair color is a chemical process or not. I color my hair and choose to believe that my hair is still natural… so just deal if you don’t like it. 🙂
A little about me and my natural hair journey: I have been a member of the society of naturalistas since 2006. 10 years ago I decided to walk away from relaxers and begged my cousin to give me my imfamous Big Chop (cutting off all the chemically processed hair leaving only the natural new growth). In that moment I realized 2 things, 1 that I really loved these little baby curls on top of my head and 2 – A very round face and pixie cut makes my head look HUGE.
I soon discovered my old hair care products no longer worked on my natural hair. The mousse was too drying, alcohol is not my friend. So I went on a search for new products. I found that many hair care companies were capitalizing on the natural hair movement so there was no shortage of options. I went to youtube a tried products suggested by the divas who have been natural much longer than myself. I had to try everything! I developed quite the collection of products.
I recently purged my stash because it was overwhelming and taking over my entire vanity and bathroom cabinets. I currently have a much smaller collection of products. I subscribe to CurlKit, a monthly subscription box that curates products for curly hair and ships it directly to your door for $25 a month. I rarely purchase additional products, only if my CurlKit was lacking in some area.
10 True Confessions of a Product Junkie
- I Must Try Everything that is new or on sale. I might work great, it might suck. You’ll never know until you try! 🙂
- I have totally purchased products and either used once or not at all. I usually just gave the latter away.
- I don’t have a problem spending $20-60 on a single hair care product. I just swipe my card and pray it works.
- I have gone over my household budget more than once to try the latest thing in natural hair.
- I am a stickler for smell. If a product doesn’t have an outstanding fragrance I’m over it and ready for the next big thing.
- I have spent so much money on my natural hair that I could have been on a couple of vacations. Seriously this stuff isn’t cheap and there are very rarely coupons for it. When it goes on sale I go into overdrive.
- I treated hair care products like flowers and candy. Want to woo me? Buy me Miss Jessie’s or Carol’s Daughter. #BAE
- I once decided to buy hair products instead of lunch… ok more than once….ok often. Beauty over food. That’s terrible. but true.
- I will try anything because it is on clearance.
- I purchased a monthly subscription to CurlKit in an effort to control my spending. I get to try different products ever month and only spend $25.