What is Self Care Anyway?
Self Care. It sound like a buzz phrase right? When did the term self care become a thing anyway? Now don’t get me wrong, I think Self Care is Hella important, but I just remember when we used to call it mental health tips. Is mental health cliche these days? according to Wikipedia – self-care is any necessary human regulatory function which is under individual control, deliberate and self-initiated. Some place self-care on a continuum with health care providers at the opposite end to self-care. In modern medicine, preventive medicine aligns most closely with self-care. So essentially it’s something you do for yourself, by yourself to keep you in good physical and mental health.
Why is Self Care Important?
As women we tend to always put ourselves last. We skip out on treating ourselves because everyone in the house comes first. We put out jobs above ourselves. We put our kids, significant other, church obligations, and social committments before ourselves on a regular basis. NEWSFLASH – I f you aren’t happy none of those are things are going to matter. We have to do things for ourselves in order to give 110% to anything or anyone else. In fact lack of self care can lead to depression, increased stress, and just all around unpleasantness to occur in your life. Ain’t Nobody Go Time For That! (talk about a buzz phrase. I really will not let that die) Think of it like this… Self care is just as important as visiting your primary care physcian, dentist, or any other health care appointment you may have this year.
Self Care in the Winter
contrary to what retailers want you to believe it’s still winter. I live in Indiana and It’s hard to get into the spirit of Spring when it’s currently snowing outside my window and I’m still running the heat, you know, so I won’t freeze to death. lol I won’t be thinking about Spring for at least another month or two. We’re really not safe until Memorial Day – I remember it snowing during the Indianapolis 500 once. So I’m going to talk about how Midwesterners like myself can practice good self care in winter, because Spring is a long way off for us.
5 Self Care Tips to Get Rid of the Moody Blues
When I’m moody or just in an all around foul mood I try to take a deep breath and remember this would be a good time to practice some self care. Take a bubble bath or something to cheer me up. Everyone at my house appreciates the Erica Time Out and how by putting myself first I really am checking myself before I wreck myself and not biting anyone’s head off. So I came up with these 5 tips that don’t require any supplies what so ever or anything to prep. I’m hoping your do have some pampering products around the house but if not no biggie. I know how budgets can get a little tight.
- Let the Light In : I like the dark personally but when IU’m feeling funky I do like to open the curtains and let a little daylight in. It feels good to have some sunlight on my face from time to time, and to be able to see outside. Even if all I am looking at is bare branches and my neighbor’s yappy dogs.
- Turn on some TUNES. No matter if it’s iTunes, Spotify, Youtube or iHeartRadio – just get some tunes filling your house with jam worthy epicness. Music Therapy exists and it’s like an actual thing. For me I am more creative, relaxed, and just in all around better spirits when I have some tunes playing.
- Plan a Girls Day. i don’t care what you do. Get out of the house or plan a netflix marathon, mask party, something to just hang out with the girls and forget your a mom/wife for a second. Just be you.
- Drink Enough Water, get some exercise, and eat a better diet. Honey, all in all, this is one of the best things you can personally do for yourself. It will improve your health, skin, and your outlook on life in general. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with having a glass of bubbly and little chocolate every now and again. 🙂
- Go to Bed. Create a routine for yourself with a strict sleeping schedule – now I understand those with little ones and how hard that must be. Look at it this way – those days won’t last forever. One day you will be able to sleep straight through the night. Bliss!
So there are my 5 Self Care TIps for Getting Rid of the Moody Blues. Got any other tips? Leave us a comment below and tell me how you get rid of moodiness and blah days.